Monday, December 10, 2007

Confusion: Monday morning update

I lost 3.2 pounds this week. Great, right? But I'm confused because my body fat % didn't go down much at all, and neither did my measurements. Based on my computations, my BF% indicates that 2 of the pounds that I lost this week were lean mass! Very confusing.

Weight Average: 185.48 - loss of 3.2 pounds this week (21.32 lbs total)

Measurements (Losses/Gains are for the week, not total)

Neck 14.75- Gain of 1/4"
Chest 39.25 - No Change
R. Bicep 13.375- Loss of 1/4"
Gut 35.625 - Loss of 1/4"
Waist 36.125- Loss of 3/4"
Thigh 23.125 - Gain of 1/8"

Back to the gym today, I took the week off at the gym (I just walked on the treadmill), because I'm doing something wrong when I lift. I get sore in my knees, neck and lower back. It is probably bad form. So I'm going to stick to the machines for a few weeks and try to ease my body back into lifting. Also, based on the bad BF %, I'm going to go back up to 2000 calories.

7 comments:

billy said...

Machines are a safer bet. Like we talked about, the measurements and body fat measurements are too imprecise to be definitive.

And dude, you lost all that off your gut and waist measurements in a week??? that's huge!

Also, I think your terminology is confused. What you're calling your "gut" (around your bellybutton area) is actually your waist measurement, And I'm guessing your "waist" measurement (where your pants go) is actually your hips.

BrotherJay said...

So where is my gut?

billy said...

What you're calling your gut is actually technically your waist measurement. The waist is measured around the bellybutton area.

Jim McCoy said...

Yeah, what Billy said. I seriously doubt that you lost two pounds of muscle in a week if you did things the healthy way. I wouldn't sweat it.

Rob Tucker said...

I do the whole "waist is under the belly" thing too. I measure the gut where the belly button is.

Probably isn't the right term, but you know how that goes. We're trying to get right of the gut, not the waist =)

billy said...

the only reason it matters is when you hear people talking about waist measurements, you know how you compare, etc. Your pants will actually be your hip measurement, unless you wear them old man style.

Geoff said...

If you are losing too much lean body mass you may want to up your calories by about 200 a day, mostly protein, to maintain that. Also, supplementing with L-Glutamine is supposed to help with muscle wasting. I use it, and I haven't lost any muscle (actually gained a bit) so I guess it works :)