Thursday, September 20, 2007

Danger

So my life is not very predictable. I work for a consulting company, and right now I am not at a regular client, so my days are completely different. One day, I may have nothing I need to do, another day I may be busy from home, other days I may be at sales calls on site with clients. So I have to plan each day carefully. Today was the first day the plan didn't work, and we had a bit of a problem. I had a sales call scheduled from 10:30 - noon. So I eat breakfast, then I take a protein shake with me in the car. The plan is to drink the shake on the way home, then eat lunch after I get home (around 1:15).

So we get into the conference room and there is a dish of goddamn chocolate on the conference room table. Homemade chocolate from the factory next door. Are you kidding me? So the meeting starts.
Then it's Noon.
Now it's 12:30. I'm weak with hunger, but I can't go out to my car and get the shake because then I can't get back in the GD building!
Now it's 1:00 and I'm getting dizzy from hunger. I eat one piece of chocolate. Oh my god it's good. So I eat many more. Now it's 1:30 and I have to step out of the room to take a call. Now I have to find somewhere private so I'm not bothering anyone. So I find an empty room. Ooops, it's the snack room. Giant container of assorted trash (chips, pretzels, cheez doodles, etc). So I start pounding that while I'm on the phone. We didn't get done the sales call until 2 freaking 30.

Not a good outcome, I need to think about how to better deal with these situations.

4 comments:

billy said...

OK, don't panic.

The first rule is, shit happens, learn from your mistakes, and do better next time. Many times I've bailed on a diet because I blew a day but those days are over.

Second rule is, ESPECIALLY at the beginning, hunger is your enemy. Eventually you'll learn to manage your hunger and cravings better but for now the worst thing you can let yourself do is get too hungry. SO, what you need to do is plan ahead, and make sure you're managing your hunger throughout the day. For you, it's more about trying to predict how your day is gonna go, and factor in the worst case scenario. What I would do, in addition to having shakes handy, get some mixed nuts, and maybe some protein bars, and keep them on hand. Just make sure you aren't taking in too many calories.

Third, when crap like this happens, try to make adjustments on the fly. Like, for the rest of the day, try to minimize your calories or skip a meal to make up for it.

Most importantly, don't let it discourage you, and wake up and tackle tomorrow as though it never happened.

BrotherJay said...

Yeah, I should throw some protein bars in my laptop bag. I did limit the calories for the rest of the day, we'll see how well I did. Thanks...

Rob Tucker said...

Billy is the guru, as usual ;)

He's right though - don't let one day be an excuse to turn that into 2 days, and then a week, and then you're off the wagon. Shit happens - it's how you pick yourself, brush yourself off, and keep on the trail.

That's a tough gig - it sucks that you weren't able to get to your food. It's one of those things where you sit back and learn what mistakes were made. Some of our biggest mistakes can lead to the biggest discoveries in our life.

What I like to see is your comment about 'doing good for the rest of the day'. So many times a binge is an excuse to MEGA-binge the rest of the day.

In this loss, pull out that small victory and grow from it.

Kristen said...

Yeah...my biggest lesson learned that allowed me to finally be successful in weight loss was accepting the fact that I was going to screw up from time to time. I think that sticking with F.A.T. has helped me to get back on track when these days happen though.

Learn from your mistakes and take precautions in the future...like you mentioned putting protein bars in your laptop bag. Just put one in there though so you don't end up binging :)