Monday, September 10, 2007

It's Go Time

OK, let's get this over with. Yes, I am related to the man, the myth, the legend Billy. He is my baby brother. We've both struggled with our weight all our lives, and he has inspired me live a healthier life. My brother and I are very different people, he is single, artistic, lives in the city, drinks Jack Daniels, and has never liked sweets. I am married with 2 kids, unartistic, live in the burbs, rarely drink, and I could eat sweets until I pass out from a sugar high.


I am so proud of what Billy has done, he has truly transformed himself into the fit stud of the family. Now I'd like to follow his footsteps. I'm 35, I weight 205 pounds, and I'm 5'8". Even though I've always been overweight, I've been active, my issue is food. I've never eaten vegetables, and I've done all the diets. So I read the Metabolism Advantage and I'm going to do the 8 week program. Here are a few of my reasons:

1. It exposes me to foods that I've never eaten. I figure I'll come out of the 8 weeks with some healthy foods that I like.
2. It seems sustainable for life, as opposed to crash diets like Atkins.
3. I've seen Billy and a close friend follow many of the concepts (healthy eating, supplements, many small meals, lifting weights to change body composition) successfully.

I started on Monday, and I'm following the 8 week plan that is in the book pretty closely. For the next 8 weeks, I'm not allow to say "I'm not eating that, I don't like it". I'll try it and if after the 8 weeks, it makes me gag violently (like the "Spinach Saute", Spinach, onions, tomato and garlic cooked together), then it's out. But this is the only way I can discover healthy foods I like (Salmon, for instance, which I had last night and really liked).

I'll post my progress and random thoughts, please don't expect the same brilliance and motivation that you get from my brother, he's on a different intellectual plane than I am. I think I used to be smart, before children's TV and music slowly began to rot my brain...

I know I'm supposed to set some detailed goals, but I suck at that, so I'm still working on it. When I come up with them, I'll post them. Right now I think a good goal would be 160ish with 12% body fat, but I have to figure out what a healthy body fat % is, and it's going to depend on muscle. When I was 19 and in college, I lifted weights and dieted and got down to 150, but that was a LONG time ago :).

2 comments:

billy said...

This is great! The blog has helped me so much, it's great to have people who share the struggle. After the initial motivation wears off, the blog can really help keep you chuggin. Have you taken any "before" pics? I really recommend it. You don't have to post them, but believe me, you'll want to have them. It's SO much easier to see your progress, because its not the same as looking in the mirror.

This is great. I think the attitude of trying new things you never liked before is exactly what you need to do!

BrotherJay said...

Yes, I took some before pics. No, I'm not ready to post them quite yet...