Thursday, October 11, 2007

Brittle

Today's Weight: 201.4 (new low)
Average Weight: 202.2
Weight Lost so far: 3.6 pounds

So one of the many reasons I'm doing this is that over the last few years, I feel like my body has become brittle. I've developed tendonitis in both shoulders (left from golf, right from racquetball), and this past January I developed a bad case of tennis elbow (again, tendonitis) from r'ball. Over the months, I got a cortizone shot in it, did physical therapy, rested, iced, and still it did not go away.

After reading Dr. Weill's book, I have to think that the crap I was eating was harmful to my body's healing process. Since I've started eating healthier, the elbow has started feeling better, even though I'm using it to help lift some heavy weights when I work out (it's really the tight grasp on the weights that isn't good for the elbow). I've got to think that I'm giving my body the ability to heal faster by eating good, clean food. I'm still nervous about getting back on the court at this point, but I'm hoping that in a month I can make a return. R'ball is great exercise and I truly enjoy it.

At 36, I shouldn't be this prone to injury, and I think that making this lifestyle change, I'll be able to avoid some problems in the future.

5 comments:

billy said...

Dude, I feel like I did this just in time to avoid where you are now. Remember when I hurt my back? I was like 27!

Here's what I'm gonna say to you.

Your situation and mine are very different. Me? I wanted to get in really good shape fast because I'm getting older and tired of being single, and I'm still young enough that my body can handle the rigors.

You, on the other hand, are not single, and so your main focus should be your health. So with everything you do you should ask yourself "Is this the healthiest thing for me?"

So maybe you take it a little easier with the weights for a while and gradually ease your way into it. There's no rush. Maybe your progress is slower than mine, that's ok too. As long as you're moving in the right direction and taking care not to put yourself out of commission doing romanian deadlifts and crap, that's the important thing. Maybe a year or 2 from now, your body will be able to handle stuff like that.

Glad you read Dr. Weil's book, it should help put things into perspective. Don't be afraid to re-read it as I have, many times.

That reminds me, I want my Dr. Weil book back.

Rob Tucker said...

LOL, Billy. Indian giver (re: the book).

I was the same way with my back - it felt like sciatica. I couldn't turn or bend down without being in intense pain. Being out of shape - it's bad news and does damage all over the place. Your bones/body were designed to carry a certain amount of weight, and when we push those limits, these things happen.

Just keep working hard - and a lot of these things solve themselves.

Jim McCoy said...

I agree with Billy. Let that elbow heal. This is about your health, and ruining an elbow doesn't seem to help that goal.

Melissa said...

I use to get cortizone shots in my knees. They were being drained once a month to. It wasnt until I embarked on the breast cancer 3 day that they finally started working for me. I started to drop some weight, and was building the muscles around my knee. And while they have their off days, generally now they are in good shape.

Taking care of your body really helps our injuried areas!

Anonymous said...

Like the others said, take care of your body. It sucks to have to sit out while you do this, but it's better in the long-run.

Oh, and racquetball rocks! You work out so hard, but you're so focused on that little blue ball that you don't realize how hard you're actually going. It's a GREAT workout! :)