Monday, October 1, 2007

Progress Report

OK, it has been three weeks since I started this journey, let's look at how things are going:

Weight:

Well, here are each Monday's weights: 205.8, 205.6, 205.8, 205. Yay, 1 pound! Pain in the ass.

Body Measurements

24-Sep 1-Oct
Neck 16.00 15.40
Chest 42.50 42.00
R Bicep 15.50 14.50
Gut 41.25 40.50
Waist 40.00 39.57
Thigh 24.00 23.75

So this is keeping me off the ledge, a pretty consistent loss of between .25" (Thigh) and 1" (Bicep, gee thanks!). Most important to me was the .75 loss on the Gut and the .4 loss on the waist.

I have to deduce that I'm losing fat and building muscle, but I know that I can do better. In each week, there has been at least one event where I strayed big time (dinner with friends, golf outing, birthday party). In the past, I've been able to do that and still lose weight.

For any of you that measure this way, have you seen times where your weight stays the same but your measurements go down?

So here is what I'm going to do:

1. Eat more carbs! Gasp! Shock! Everyone relax. I think I'm eating too much protein. It results in me not feeling energetic. So I'm going to add the Optimum Power Cereal to my routine for breakfast, and I'm not going to be so freaked out by adding good carbs to my diet through the day. I think my body will respond well to this, but if not, I'll scale back.

2. Tighten up the diet. Let's try a few weeks where I don't stray from my program at ALL and see how that goes.

3. Incorporate fat burning workouts. All of Berardi's workouts are weight lifting and cardio. I'm going to incorporate fat burning workouts in addition. In the past, this is how I've lost fat. Playing racquetball, jogging, walking. I can't play R'ball yet (elbow), but let's try to get a 30 minute walk in there at least 3 times a week.

4 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

I've done the whole 'lose inches, not lost weight' thing. Frustrating as shit, but as least you're knowing that it's working.

I like that you're re-analyzing, and redoing what you need to do. Keep it up, Jay.

billy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Your approach sounds good. The fact that you're losing that much off your measurements is a DEFINITE sign of progress, so F the scale.

About adding carbs: the best time to do this is in the morning and right around workout time. I still wouldn't eat cereal every day, try adding a piece of sourdough or wheat toast to your eggs, etc.

And any exercise you can add is a bonus. I wouldn't substitute any for berardi's workouts, just add.

It's all about exploring and finding out what works for you. Yeah, weekly binges don't work for most people. And the holidays are coming, so look out. But hey, I started doing this last year around the holidays, so it can be done. If anyone gives you small bags of Doritos, throw them at them.

Marcol said...

Happy Birthday Jay! May this be your best year yet.

As for the losing pounds verses inches. Thats pretty common. As you progress on this journey youll find all kinds of trends that happen. Just know seeing the type of inch decreases that you did are definitely a sign of youre doing something right...its definitely fat youre losing since youre widdling your middle away.

swankywanker said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like your new plan is on target. Just imagine what you'll look and feel like on your next birthday.