Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tough day

So I've been doing really well over the past 3 weeks at clean eating, only eating high quality, nutritious foods. Today was tough, however. I found myself craving carbs late this afternoon, and I did down some goldfish crackers and some cheese crackers as well, not the best choice. Also had to really fight the urge to eat some of the Halloween candy! I've been cruising for so long that I kind of forgot what a life long committment eating well takes.

I was listening to Howard Stern this morning. For those of you who don't know, Howard eats very well and is very consious of his health, and has been that way for 20 years. They were talking about the fact that someone had brought in cupcakes, and Howard was talking to a less healthy guy on the show. The less healthy guy made an assumption that it was "easy" for Howard to not eat the cupcakes, since he's been healthy for so long. Howard disagreed and said that it's always a struggle, and that cupcakes taste great, but he has made the decision that he's not going to eat "that shit". This made me realize that no matter how long you are healthy, you still need to have the discipline to stay the course.

6 comments:

billy said...

Howard is really a great role model for this stuff. I remember something he said that stuck in my head. It was something like:

"Stop acting like a little baby who always has to get what he wants. You're an adult, so exercise some self-discipline."

Basically, I would always allow myself to eat whatever my little heart desired. That's a pretty childish (and destructive) attitude!

Jim McCoy said...

Amen to what Billy said. Discipline is at the core of weight loss, or in Howard's case, maintenance. I wish it was easy myself.

Melissa said...

I love when your feeling like you might not be able to practice self control, and than a sign is thrown in your face - like Howards show. :-)

Stay Strong Jay - you can do it ;-)

Ripx180 said...

Good blog Jay. Howards words are so true... that's why many of us have lost weight before and yet find ourselves here again doing it all over. Its kind of sad and scary that it never gets easy. I guess you have to look at it and decide what you really want. Most days I can win the fight but some days I cave....

Rob Tucker said...

Good call, man. I used to listen to Howard religiously when he was still on free radio. I never got around to getting satellite.

That's something I am realizing the hard way - I'm NEVER going to have it easy, and this is something I'll be living with until the day I die. It sucks, but I've got my whole life to get used to it. Thanks for the reminder.

Marcol said...

Good blog. Its always nice to hear from those who are now thin that its still a struggle for them years later...its really not a piece of cake :)