Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ouch! (**$*)(#*#@(*&

So I'm at the gym Monday, pounding out the weights. I am on my last exercise, leg presses. I'm pushing up my last rep and POW! I get this sharp pain in my head, above and behind my left ear. It hurt like a sumbitch. But I was at the end of my workout, so no biggie. So today (Wed), I go to do my first exercise, pull-ups. I get to the 5th rep, and POW, there it is again. I have a good pain threshold, but I could NOT have this pain happen every set! So I went to the elliptical machine and did 40 low impact minutes. It seems that this pain recurs when I'm doing something high intensity.

I've emailed my doctor to ask him what the hell is going on, but it looks like I should spend at least the next week doing low impact stuff (walking, elliptical, etc).

I won't let this stop me...

Yesterday I was 200, today I was 200.2. Isn't it cruel?

6 comments:

billy said...

Did it feel like a headache? One time I kept getting a horrible rush of headache pain when i did any exertion at the gym. Found out it's something called "exertion headache" that can happen sometimes. But I think it was more headache-feeling than a sharp pain. Definitely get it checked out.

you can't go wrong by keeping your diet clean and keeping it low intensity for a little. As long as youre heading in the right direction.

Rob Tucker said...

Damn - yeah, make sure you're careful with whatever you're doing, that can't be a good thing.

Don't sweat the .2 - only I'm allowed to be paranoid about the scale every ten minutes ;)

BrotherJay said...

Rob,

I'm not worried about the .2, I'm bummed that I'm not seeing 199...

swankywanker said...

Whatever it is, be careful. No one wants you to stroke out. I'd reccommend aspirin before the workout, and make sure you're well hydrated. Uber hydrated.

BrotherJay said...

Billy, no it felt like a knife in the side of my head, the headache is afterwards. I talked to my one buddy who works out a lot and he said this happened to him as well, it was a strained muscle in his neck. We'll see what my doc says...

Jim McCoy said...

Be careful with the head. Low impact sounds good, it's all I ever do, and I've lost some weight. And believe me, I feel you on the not getting the 199, but you'll get there, just keep on keepin' on.