Monday, January 28, 2008

My Wife: Osmosis

So my wonderful wife has lost 7 pounds since I started my journey in September. How, you may ask? Well, for the first 5 pounds, it was osmosis. Yes, she is annoying. Basically, she did the following:

1. She's one of those people that forgets to eat. So she would eat a bowl of Cheerios with Milk for breakfast at 6 am, then at 11 she would start to get dizzy and would wonder why. So for a few weeks, I would make her two scrambled eggs, a piece of sourdough toast, and a piece of turkey sausage for breakfast. This got her through the morning and helped her make good decisions about food throughout the day. Now she cooks this herself every morning (just the eggs and toast).

2. She listened to me talking about what I've been learning about food and WHY certain foods are bad for you (like Milky Way bars, which was one of her favorites). So she started making better decisions for lunch, and started skipping the pure junk (like candy bars and chips).

3. She does not cook, so she happily took part in the dinners that I cooked, regardless of the fact that they were healthy. For her, this was great since she didn't need to worry about dinner.

4. She started getting on the treadmill to walk 3-4 times a week.

So then she started noticing the results, and decided that she wanted to make the effort to lose 7-10 more pounds (she's pretty thin to begin with, she's a size 4 at this point). She doesn't really have a goal weight, she just wants to see her hips and thighs looking better. So about a month ago, she started keeping track, doing daily weigh ins. Since then she's lost 2.5 more pounds, for a total of around 7.

She also allowed me to talk her into the fact that if she wants to see her hips, thighs and butt look better, she should start doing different things than just the treadmill. So I designed a bodyweight program for her lower body and another one for her upper body. Things like squats, lunges, core work (bridge/plank, crunches), pushups, etc. We did the lower body program on Saturday, and she was sore yesterday, which I keep trying to tell her is a great sign!

So I'll be keeping you guys up to date on her progress. Unfortunately, today she caught the stomach bug that our kids had last week. So if she does what our 5 and 2 year olds did, she'll spend today vomiting, then the next 2 days not able to eat and being tired, then the next day with head congestion (weird). Obviously, I'm praying that I don't get this...

2 comments:

Ripx180 said...

I am sure your progress and results have a direct effect on her wanting to follow suit. Its addictive... I cant wait for my second child to get into this world so I can get my wife more involved into exercise portion of my new lifestyle. She seems interested which is good for both of us. Anyway I guess I am trying to say thats awesome that your wife is interested in bettering her health and appearance (win win for all of you).

billy said...

You guys will be Tom and Sandy in no time. Hey, stomach bug=weight loss!