Wednesday, January 9, 2008

You are now entering the Flatlands, enjoy your stay

So I was reading old posts on Billy's blog, specifically the February 2007 area where he went through a brutal plateau. I feel like I'm entering a plateau, here are my last 9 weigh-ins:

181.2
180.8
180.2
179.4
180.2
180.8
180.2
180.2
180

All bunched in the same general 1 lb area, except for the 179.4, which is looking like a fluke.

I started the Turblance training fat burning workout this week, it is intense. I tried to eat the low carb way that Craig B. suggests, but I couldn't pull it off, so I'm back to my regular eating plan. The only big difference is that his plan doesn't allow whole grain carbs, and mine does (in moderation).

6 comments:

billy said...

whatever you do, you need to do what's best for your gall bladder or whatever the hell is going on there, so the no-carb approach may not be right for you. Try cutting out some more calories where you can...

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

you could always try purging.

seriously though, when I've hit flat area's I just suffer through them, keep up the hard work, and eventually they go away. Maybe try a routine change as well.

DaleK said...

I had a 5 month plateau back in '06.

I'm working on building a spread sheet that tracks weight loss, measurements, bf%, lbm etc. When I punch in my measurements to a navy formula calculator from that time period, as it turns out, I was actually gaining muscle and losing fat. How I dunno, but that's what the numbers say. Not entirely accurate I'm sure but had I known what was going on at the time I might have been a nicer person.

So, yeah, you've heard it before. But have you tried actually plugging your measurements from the plateau start into a bf calculator? If you see the numbers in black and white in makes the stupid scale much easier to ignore.

Rob Tucker said...

The only thing that you can do to break a plateau is keeping working through it. "Josh the Destroyer" (my old trainer) once told me that if you hit that plateau, to go out and just have a 'cheat meal' - his example was a Whopper w/ Fries and a milk shake - whatever it is that YOU like.

Then, just get back in the gym after one meal and it'll come down.

That actually worked for me a few times on plateaus - but I have a hard time 'recommending' a milk shake, so take that for what it's worth.

Jim McCoy said...

A plateau is like a glass floor. It looks solid, but if you stomp on it enough times, it will break. Keep stomping.