Thursday, January 31, 2008

Much Better Turkey Chili

Weight Lost since 1/2: 5.04 (halfway!)

So I posted a quick recipe for turkey chili yesterday. It is good stuff. But this recipe, while it takes longer to prepare and cook, tastes much better (the best turkey chili I've ever had) and has more veggies:

Ingredients
1.5 tbsp Canola Oil
3 lb ground turkey breast (99% lean)
2 cans organic black beans (or kidney, but the black are really good and give less gas)
2 28oz cans of organic diced or crushed tomatoes (If you like chunky tomatoes, used diced)
2 red peppers, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1-2 lg. onion, diced (depends on how much you like onions, I use 1)
4-8 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup water
1/4 cup red wine
4 bay leaves
4 tsp. cumin
2 tbs. chili powder
2 tsp. sea salt
3 tbs. oregano
a pinch of cayene
1-3 Jalepenos (OPTIONAL. I don't use them. If you don't use them, this chili will not be hot at all, which I don't mind. If you like your chili hot, add the jalepenos)

Steps

Brown the meat in a skillet and drain. Saute the peppers and onions in canola oil in a separate pot. Add spices to the peppers and onions after they've cooked a bit.Don't over do the veggies - they'll cook when it's all mixed.

After turkey is browned, add turkey, tomatoes, water, red wine, bay leaves to the pot & let simmer for a couple of hours.

When you eat it, add some shredded cheddar or pecorino romano to the top.

Makes at least 8 servings. If you calculate the recipe as 8 servings, here is the estimated data:

Calories
462

Calories from Carbohydrate
181 (45 grams)

Calories from Fat
42 (5.6 g, 0.6 g saturated)

Calories from Protein
240 (62 g)

3 comments:

billy said...

Sounds like my chili recipe aside from the red wine and oregano. I always put in the jalepenos, but it will only be hot if you leave in the seeds (I do, like Pappy taught me).

I also throw in red pepper flakes, sometimes some hot sauce, and I mix up the beans with black, kidney, pinto, and black eyed peas.

Also, I throw in some Quinoa about 1/2 hour before it's done. It thickens it up and adds nutrition.

BrotherJay said...

I think Quinoa taste like ass.

Anonymous said...

I just buy me stuff at Popeyes.

Not sure what they use but I asked and get back to you.

-Jigaboo Jones